It’s crazy, but the Superbowl commercial of the day goes to….Walmart. Walmart! I know! Whodathunk?
I need to make some screen captures, but you can do for now with the below video of the all-out effort made to include beloved, iconic, and a few harder-to-spot cool cars from many movies and TV shows, over many decades of time.
The Plot: These movie cars are sent out to pick up groceries from Walmart, and plays out like a little movie. What did we just see, in which order?
- The Batmobile from Batman (One incarnation of it. Heh, get it? In-CAR-nation?)
- Ecto-1 from Ghostbusters (And Slimer)
- KITT, from Knight Rider, which would be my first choice to get my stuff, since I wouldn’t have to even go to Walmart at all. I could just send KITT there and stay home (And I checked…the voice is indeed really KITT’s, as William Daniels reprises his original role!)
- Lightning McQueen from Pixar’s Cars
- Mutt Cutts “Shaggin’ Wagon” from Dumb and Dumber
- The Truckster station wagon from the Griswold Family in National Lampoon’s Vacation
- The Mystery Machine from Scooby-Doo
- The Jurassic Park Tour Vehicle, complete with a hungry pack of Compies (We’re back in the car…again!)
- Cinderella’s Pumpkin Coach, with Cinderella herself (Awwwww)
- The Flintstones Car
- We also see Bumblebee from the Transformers franchise. Well, why not? We’ll call him a part-time car. Maybe I’ll send him for my groceries
- And finally, The DeLorean from Back to the Future
I’ve seen a few of these cars in “real life” — made by real people who went out of their way to redesign some wacky classics. To wit: the Ecto-1 in Yuma, AZ, the Mystery Machine in Asheville, NC, and the Delorean in San Diego, CA (that last one was at Comic Con, in the streets of downtown).
But seriously, this nostalgic commercial gets all the loves this year, plus it plays out over Gary Numan’s 1979 hit “Cars”:
The commercial sells the idea that you just show up in your car, and a Walmart Associate will bring out your groceries…which I am totally down with, since I don’t like shopping in person. So it’s a whole lot of brilliant, and whoever pulled this all together (getting all the rights alone must have been a nightmare) deserves their car of choice.
I’m still deciding which one I want. 🙂
Don’t miss your favorite movie moments because you have to pee or need a snack. Use the RunPee app (Android or iPhone ) whenever you go to the movies. We have Peetimes for all new wide release films every week, now including Tenet, The New Mutants, Palm Springs, and more. We have literally thousands of Peetimes from classic movies through today. You can also keep up with movie news and reviews on our blog or by following us on @RunPee@RunPee, and liking us on Facebook.
Co-Creator of RunPee, Chief of Operations, Content Director, and Managing Editor. RunPee Jilly likes galaxy-spanning sci fi, superhero sagas, fantasy films, YA dystopians, action thrillers, chick flicks, and zany comedies, in that order…and possesses an inspiringly small bladder. In fact, that little bladder sparked the creation of RunPee. (Good thing she’s learned to hold it.)