If you’re a Star Wars fan burned by uneven movies in the franchise, you should enjoy The Mandalorian. Available only on the Disney+ premium channel, these short but extremely competent episodes in the Star Wars lexicon need to be seen and savored. It’s giving the concurrent Rise of Skywalker a serious run for the money. As it should.
While only one season is available yet, “I have a very good feeling about this.” Creator Jon Favreau is a superb choice to run this first live action Star Wars TV series. If you binge the 2019 season all at once, you’ll have five hours of excellent viewing to enjoy. Here’s why you should watch The Mandalorian now.
Seven Reasons to Love The Mandalorian
- It’s not connected to the Skywalker Saga. In fact, no one you know is in it! Only die hard Star Wars fans will notice the fun nods to continuity. Yup. The fanservice is just right. And no, the titular Mandalorian isn’t Boba Fett… Enough retconning already.
- New timeline. The episodes occur between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens. This is uncharted territory. The Mandalorian feels entirely new and entirely right.
- New characters and plots. This isn’t tethered to elite Force families or planet-killing weapons. We don’t balance the Force, tell half-lies, or worry about evil fathers. It’s about small stories with intimate stakes. No prior Star Wars knowledge needed! Understanding the Original Trilogy helps, but isn’t required.
- The episodes look like a million bucks. Actually, $12-15 million apiece: Disney+ spared no expense for The Mandalorian. Each episode is like a mini-movie. It’s blatantly gorgeous, in that trademark Original Trilogy “lived-in” way.
- This FEELS like Star Wars, even if tonally it’s a space Western instead of a rollicking adventure serial. The Mandalorian also sounds like Star Wars, despite lacking a John Williams score. Mood-wise, place it between Rogue One and the first hour of A New Hope. It’s both a spare and moving story, and gets better with each installment.
- The Mandalorian is highly rated. Rotten Tomatoes gives the show a 94% Critics Score and 93% Audience Rating. This might be the least divisive Star Wars outing in decades. Maybe ever.
- Finally, there’s something really cute here. But not too cute. (No Ewoks; thank the Maker.) It’s a MacGuffin, but a welcome one. Fortunately, the trailers don’t spoil the reveal. Feel free to watch them both.
The Mandalorian, Overall
You don’t need Peetimes to watch The Mandalorian because TVs have pause buttons, but so far — and may the Force be with us — it gets the RunPee Seal of Approval. I can’t wait for Season Two next fall.
Have you watched The Mandalorian yet? Discuss what you think of the Disney+ show in the comment section below.
Don’t miss your favorite movie moments because you have to pee or need a snack. Use the RunPee app (Android or iPhone ) whenever you go to the movies. We have Peetimes for all new wide release films every week, now including Tenet, The New Mutants, Palm Springs, and more. We have literally thousands of Peetimes from classic movies through today. You can also keep up with movie news and reviews on our blog or by following us on @RunPee@RunPee, and liking us on Facebook.
Co-Creator of RunPee, Chief of Operations, Content Director, and Managing Editor. RunPee Jilly likes galaxy-spanning sci fi, superhero sagas, fantasy films, YA dystopians, action thrillers, chick flicks, and zany comedies, in that order…and possesses an inspiringly small bladder. In fact, that little bladder sparked the creation of RunPee. (Good thing she’s learned to hold it.)