In the far away and long ago galaxy of Star Wars, everyone’s a prophet. Who hasn’t said they have a bad feeling about something? Well, except that one time Han said he had a good feeling. It’s the franchise’s longest-running gag, at least through the 10th film of Solo, A Star Wars Story. Updated now through Rise of Skywalker!
Here’s a definitive list of who and when a Star Wars character said “I have a bad feeling about this,” or “I have a very bad feeling,” or even “A really bad feeling,” listed in film production order (with Luke Skywalker getting bonus points for being the first to say it ).[Links go to RunPee’s reviews, and here is our Star Wars movie ranking.]
Do you remember who said I have a bad feeling? Here we go…
- A New Hope – Said twice! First with Luke Skywalker, when the Millennium Falcon approaches the Death Star, and then Han Solo, in the trash compactor.
- The Empire Strikes Back – Princess Leia, on the asteroid with the Mynocks.
- Return of the Jedi – C-3PO to Artoo Detoo, approaching Jabba’s palace.
- The Phantom Menace – Obi-Won Kenobi’s first line in the film, to Qui-gon Jinn.
- Attack of the Clones – Anakin Skywalker in the gladiator ring on Geonosis.
- Revenge of the Sith – Obi-Won to Anakin, in their starfighters.
- The Force Awakens – Han, realizing the deadly rathtars have been set loose on his ship.
- Rogue One – K-SO2 to Jyn Erso and Cassian Andor in the elevator scene (although he gets cut off at the end).
- The Last Jedi – This one is special and I had to look it up to be sure, but BB-8 says it to Poe Dameron, in binary. Director Rian Johnson confirms this. Notice that droids get the bad feeling line three times. (Who knew droids could feel?)
- Solo – This one stands out by having the inverse line, spoken by a young Han. In an aside to Chewbacca in the cockpit of the Falcon, he says, “I’ve got a really good feeling about this.” Go with it, Han! Things are going to get a lot worse, soon enough.
- Rise of Skywalker – Lando Calrissian gets the line in this Skywalker finale. Yay, Lando!
So, there it is. EVERY Star Wars movie has a variation on this portent of doom. Next time you pull a re-watch, keep your ears open for the iconic quote.
Don’t miss your favorite movie moments because you have to pee or need a snack. Use the RunPee app (Android or iPhone ) whenever you go to the movies. (We've been doing this over 10 years now.) We always have Peetimes for the latest wide release films, including OnWard, 1917, Sonic the Hedgehog, etc. You can also keep up with the latest movie news and reviews on our blog or by following us on Twitter @RunPee, and liking us on Facebook.
Co-Creator of RunPee, Chief of Operations, Content Director, and Managing Editor. RunPee Jilly likes galaxy-spanning sci fi, superhero sagas, fantasy films, YA dystopians, action thrillers, chick flicks, and zany comedies, in that order…and possesses an inspiringly small bladder. In fact, that little bladder sparked the creation of RunPee. (Good thing she’s learned to hold it.)