With the biopic movie Bohemian Rhapsody splashing across theaters, you might want to have a little fun dressing up like the members of the iconic rock band Queen, led by Freddie Mercury.
It’s a simple matter to dress like you’re a male band member from the 80s era. [pullquote]As with many costumes, the key is the hair. You’ll be most recognizable if you find a wig featuring long, big hair.[/pullquote] You can wear it straight like Roger Taylor (blonde), or curly like Brian May (dark). An afro works too, like John Deacon’s wild do. Tease the hair up and out, and spray the heck out if it for full effect. Add mutton chops for the fun of it.
Alternatively, find a wig with a mullet: short in the front, long in the back. Or cut up any long wig into that style. (If you’re too young to remember mullets, you’re better off.)_
If you’re lucky enough to have three fun friends, you can form the entire band. Divvy up the roles to achieve the right quartet of looks from Queen.
Here’s the kind of clothes you need to dress like a band from the 80s: (Pick these things up cheaply at your local Goodwill or thrift store.)
- A red or blue bandana around the head, or on your ankle (and over the boots).
- A rock band teeshirt (worn tucked in) and artfully ripped.
- Tight, slim cut blue jeans, or tight shiny vinyl pants.
- Any leather, spiked, or studded accessories.
- Black boots.
- Bring a guitar, drum sticks, or tambourine.
- Maybe stick some old Queen sheet music in your back pocket. [pullquote position=”right”]Bring a small notebook to scrawl down off-the-cuff lyrics as they come to you. ANYTHING can be a song lyric. Remember, this is Queen we’re talking about. (Scaramouch, scaramouch, will you do the fandango?)[/pullquote]
- A cigarette for one hand and a glass of beer in the other. (You don’t have to actually smoke or drink.)
- Bonus Points: If you want to find one of the more flamboyant 80s looks, just do a quick search for Band Members Of Queen. You’ll find loads of looks the fashion police would fine you for. Go nuts and wear a silk or velour bathrobe over your outrageous attire.
If you want to dress specifically as Freddie Mercury, the short-hair-and-porno-mustache look will be most recognizable. For the full ensemble, add the following:
- Slick your hair back with gel. (Use a wash-out dye to color it black.)
- Wear some big front teeth.
- Wear mirrored, metal-rimmed sunglasses all day and night.
- Slap on a big fake mustache that curves down the sides of your mouth. Possibly grow out your own, if you have the time and feel adventurous.
- Find a leather arm-band with studs. (Look on Amazon or eBay.)
- Wear a white, tight tank top and slim-cut blue jeans.
- Find a black leather belt.
- Finish the look off with black boots.
- Dangle a cigarette from your lips.
- Consider putting a silky Asian robe over it all.
If you want to really be recognized, bring along a microphone and a section of mic stand, like Freddie did. [pullquote]Remember that Freddie had a larger than life persona! Call everybody darling; flounce around and give out hugs. Pass out Tic-Tacs and tell people they are Quaaludes. Sing some of your favorite Queen — or at least do the stomp and clap anthem We Will Rock You [/pullquote](if you can’t sing). Make everyone around you stomp right along. You’ll probably get the whole room chanting the lyrics with you, so memorize the words. Here are the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody, if you have the stamina for the world’s most outrageous six-minute song.
Don’t miss your favorite movie moments because you have to pee or need a snack. Use the RunPee app (Androidor iPhone) when you go to the movies. We have Peetimes for all wide release films every week, including Dune, No Time To Die, and coming soon The Eternals. We have literally thousands of Peetimes—from classic movies through today's blockbusters. You can also keep up with movie news and reviews on our blog, or by following us on Twitter @RunPee. If there's a new film out there, we've got your bladder covered.
Co-Creator of RunPee, Chief of Operations, Content Director, and Managing Editor. RunPee Jilly likes galaxy-spanning sci fi, superhero sagas, fantasy films, YA dystopians, action thrillers, chick flicks, and zany comedies, in that order…and possesses an inspiringly small bladder. In fact, that little bladder sparked the creation of RunPee. (Good thing she’s learned to hold it.)