I don’t have to tell you what a crazy year this was, and how the movie industry was flipped upside down. But, we did still see movies. And if we’re going to watch a movie, we’re going to rate it. So here’s the movie ratings we compiled for 2020.
This is a breakdown of the Peeple’s Poll rating, along with the IMDb ratings, for the top 23 movies this year. Note: I limited the pool of movies to those that had at least 50 votes in the Peeple’s Poll.
|TITLE||IMDb||Peeple’s Poll (Final)|
|The Call of the Wild||6.8||8.1|
|Bad Boys for Life||6.6||8.0|
|The Invisible Man||7.1||8.0|
|The Way Back||6.7||7.9|
|Sonic the Hedgehog||6.5||7.7|
|Birds of Prey||6.1||7.6|
|The New Mutants||5.3||6.9|
|Like a Boss||4.5||6.8|
Here’s a chart of the same data:
If you really want to gorge yourself on some data, here’s a table with the same results above, but including the Peeple’s Poll Expectation, and the difference between Expectation and Final votes. Oh, and I threw in our staff movie grades for kicks.
|TITLE||IMDb||PP Expectation||PP Final||PP Difference||RP Grade|
|The Call of the Wild||6.8||7.3||8.1||+0.80||A|
|Bad Boys for Life||6.6||7.4||8.0||+0.65||A|
|The Invisible Man||7.1||7.2||8.0||+0.80||B+|
|The Way Back||6.7||7.4||7.9||+0.52||A|
|Sonic the Hedgehog||6.5||6.5||7.7||+1.17||B+|
|Birds of Prey||6.1||7.1||7.6||+0.54||B|
|The New Mutants||5.3||6.5||6.9||+0.35||B+|
|Like a Boss||4.5||6.6||6.8||+0.21||C+|
Here’s a few things that stand out to me in the data above:
- Wonder Woman 1984 narrowly missed meeting expectations. That’s not good. You can see that only a handful of really bad movies failed to meet expectations.
- Birds of Prey, the other female superhero movie of 2020, slightly outperformed #WW84 in the Peeple’s Poll final vote.
- Sonic the Hedgehog performed better against expectations than any other movie this year. That doesn’t mean it was a great movie. But it does mean that the fans who saw the movie didn’t think it would be much going in, but were pleasantly surprised in the end.
- Honest Thief fell off a cliff.
- Our staff grades here at RunPee generally follow the Peeple’s Poll Final results, with one notable exception. Somehow RunPee Sis LOVED the movie Downhill, which the Peeple Poll shows was exceptionally bad. That’s my sister — the outlier.
Don’t miss your favorite movie moments because you have to pee or need a snack. Use the RunPee app (Androidor iPhone) when you go to the movies. We have Peetimes for all wide release films every week, including The Creator, A Haunting in Venice, Expend4bles, Gran Turismo, Oppenhiemer, Barbie, and coming soon Killers of the Flower Moon, and many others. We have literally thousands of Peetimes—from classic movies through today's blockbusters. You can also keep up with movie news and reviews on our blog, or by following us on Twitter @RunPee. If there's a new film out there, we've got your bladder covered.
Creator and developer of the RunPee app. When something doesn’t work right in the app it’s pretty much his fault. 🙂
Aspiring author. Would like to finish his “Zombie Revelations” trilogy if he could break away for working on RunPee and the cottage he’s building for RunPee Mom.