Read Time:3 Minute, 36 Second
It’s a Saturday. I don’t really feel like working – writing code – so I started messing around with the RunPee database and Google Analytics just for fun. Here are a few tid-bits I came up with.
As of July 21st, 2012
- There are a total of 467 movies in the database
- The first movie added to the RunPee database was Star Wars. ( For testing purposes when I first built the app. )
- There are 50,509 minutes worth of movies represented in the database. That comes out to just over 35 days worth of movies if you were to watch them all one after another.
- The longest movies in the database are:
- 194 minutes, Titanic 3D
- 164 minutes, The Dark Knight Rises
- 162 minutes, Avatar
- 162 minutes, Watchmen
- 158 minutes, 2012
- 158 minutes, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
- 154 minutes, Transformers: Dark of the Moon
- 153 minutes, Harry Potter – Half Blood Prince
- 153 minutes, Inglourious Basterds
- 152 minutes, Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone
- Here is a chart that plots of number of movies with the same running time vs the running time. You can see that there are very few movies that are shorter than 90 minutes and a small percentage that are over about 2 hours and 10 minutes. What I find interesting is that there is a fairly even distribution out past 2 hours. It doesn’t tail off. It’s like if you’re going to go over the 2 hour mark then just make it as long as you want. Then again it could just be an artifact of the small sample size compared to all of the movies that have been made. I would love to see a breakdown of how much money a movie makes vs how long the movie is. I’m sure someone has done that chart.
- There are 1,246 peetimes in the RunPee database.
- The average peetime occurs 51 minutes and 25 seconds into a movie.
- The average movie has 2.67 peetimes.
- We have added 411 movies to the database since we began checking to see if there is anything extra after the movie credits.
- Approximately 1 movie in 4 has something extra after the end credits. ( That seems a little high to me but that’s what the data says. )
Analytics ( Note: the analytics are just rough estimations. A good bit of usage doesn’t get tracked. )
-----Content continues below------
The World's Most Indispensable Movie App
The RunPee app tells you the best times to run & pee during a movie so you don't miss the best scenes.
Read more about the RunPee app.
- The most popular opening weekend for a movie so far is Hunger Games with 15,783 views over Friday-Sunday. It just barely beat out The Avengers, and Dark Knight Rises. To make that a little more astounding consider that there were over 100,000 additional users added after Hunger Games came out.
- Even though Hunger Games had the biggest opening weekend The Avengers finished with more total views: 45,478 vs 51,206. Dark Knight Rises will probably come close to The Avengers but I don’t think it will break it. Mainly, I think, because The Avengers is more fun and appeals to a wider audience. ( I’ll update this in a month or so to see if DKR breaks the record. )
- There are about 225,000 RunPee app users across iOS and Android.
- The peak usage of the app comes around 6:00 PM Eastern Time on Saturdays.
- Between 6:00 PM and 7:00 PM on Saturday, July 21st the peetimes for Dark Knight Rises were accessed on average every 7.8 seconds.
- RunPee usage by country: ( numbers represent movie views over the past year )
- United States 530,442
- Canada 24,230
- Australia 15,564
- United Kingdom 15,542
- Mexico 5,630
- Germany 4,885
- France 3,024
- Singapore 2,493
- Japan 2,037
- Netherlands 2,005
- If we take the country breakdown reported above and divide by the total population we get the following. The RunPee app is MUCH more popular in Canada, Australia and the UK than it is in the USA. The only conclusion I can come to is that Canadians, Aussies, and Brits have smaller bladders than United Statesians.
- 0.7% – Canada
- 0.7% – Australia
- 0.2% – United Kingdom
- 0.1% – United States
- 0.06% – Germany
- 0.05% – France
- 0.05% – Mexico
- 0.04% – Singapore
- 0.02% – Japan
- 0.01% – Netherlands
Don’t miss your favorite movie moments because you have to pee or need a snack. Use the RunPee app (Androidor iPhone) when you go to the movies. We have Peetimes for all wide release films every week, including Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume III, Super Mario Bros. Movie, and coming soon Fast X, and The Little Mermaid 2023. We have literally thousands of Peetimes—from classic movies through today's blockbusters. You can also keep up with movie news and reviews on our blog, or by following us on Twitter @RunPee. If there's a new film out there, we've got your bladder covered.
Creator and developer of the RunPee app. When something doesn’t work right in the app it’s pretty much his fault. 🙂
Aspiring author. Would like to finish his “Zombie Revelations” trilogy if he could break away for working on RunPee and the cottage he’s building for RunPee Mom.
Join the conversation
Hi! Do you have an open API? I have some great ideas for using this sort of data…
Sorry, no open API. It’s a lot of work to collect this data and isn’t something I can just give away.