I wore this Arthur Dent costume for the 2018 San Diego Comic Con on Saturday (along with an Ask Me About RunPee pin, of course), and tucked my old ratty copy of Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy in my robe pocket (the DVD will work too. Or just your Smart Phone, which is basically the real Hitchhiker’s Guide these days). Dolphins are on the print of the towel (“Thanks for all the fish!”). No makeup except lip balm. Hair in braids…it was pretty cute. And super easy. Saturday is so crazy at Comic Con that you need an easy, comfortable costume. It doesn’t get more comfy than pajamas! 🙂
- Super simple to toss on in the morning and go. Literally, you just roll out of bed with this one. No time wasted for the big, big day!
- Comfortable all day!
- Cheap. You probably have everything at home. Conventions are very expensive, and San Diego’s Comic Con is the grand-daddy of them all. Save your money for signings, goodies in the exhibition hall, and on your other, more elaborate cosplays.
- Towel is great to wipe the sweat off your face when standing in line for hours outside in the hot sun, or when running in the concourse between panels.
- The thick robe was nice at night, or in spaces that had aggressive AC (like the Masquerade Ball).
- It’s from a classic novel that also has a movie associated with it, so it’s not hugely esoteric.
- Nobody who guessed my costume cared that I was a girl in a ‘guy’ role. Those who recognized me loved it!
- I got to wear my purple foam crocs. Flip flops or slippers would normally be better, but with all the walking/trudging/running/standing you do at Comic Con, you need something comfortable for spending ten or more hours on your feet. These were perfect. Made me glad I kept the darn things.
- Nothing sticks out to snag on other people, so you can get through the teeming crowds easily. Time saved is stamina saved!
|The RunPee app tells you the best time to run & pee during a movie so you don't miss the best scenes.|
Download for free: Android | iPhone
Read more about the RunPee app.
- Most people didn’t recognize my cosplay theme and just figured the pajama/robe setup was from something or other (it’s clearly not clothes you wear outside the house). When they see the Don’t Panic pin, though, most folks clue in. (Use any large pin you have, cover with any non-clear tape you have, and write Don’t Panic!)
- On a hot day, the thick robe is a bit much.
- There are so many better costumes around you that you start feeling a bit lazy.(Keep in mind: you can always change into something more complicated before the Masquerade Ball.)
- Terry cloth robes. It’s the opposite of sexy.
Overall, the Arthur Dent cosplay is a great choice if you have a little Con fatigue and you know you’re going to be a too overloaded to deal with hassles (as for Saturday’s insane lines) or too tired to care about something elaborate (as in Sunday). Plus, the people that clue in to exactly who you are feel really proud of themselves. I actually hugged a few folks who happily exclaimed, “You’re Arthur Dent!” They made my day.
Co-Creator of RunPee, Chief of Operations, Content Director, and Managing Editor. RunPee Jilly likes galaxy-spanning sci fi, superhero sagas, fantasy films, YA dystopians, action thrillers, chick flicks, and zany comedies, in that order…and possesses an inspiringly small bladder. In fact, that little bladder sparked the creation of RunPee. (Good thing she’s learned to hold it.)