The power of the Green Lantern gives the wearer the ability to make anything imaginable become reality. The writers/director used their power to conjure up every imaginable cliche ever used to make a super hero comic adaptation. Wait, I take that back. There’s no side kick in this story so they missed maybe one cliche.
Lets run down the list:
- Under achiever given gift of great power – check
- Failed relationships – check
- Childhood friend of eventual enemy – check
- Techie brilliant friend – check ( wait, he’s sort of a side kick. )
- Bad guy just wants to be loved – check
- Rekindling former relationship – check
I can’t think of anything redeeming about this movie. Just wait until it’s on Netflix so you can watch the first half and then quit without actually paying anything for it.
With all that being said I can’t really find any fault with Ryan Reynolds’ performance. He did fine as the Green Lantern. I don’t think anyone could have done a better job in his role. But like my moma says, “It’s hard to not stink when you’re covered in shit.”